Sources with Foxconn claim that Apple has raised it’s global shipment goal for the first quarter of next year from 19 million iPhones to 20-21 million.
The first-quarter shipment goal for WCDMA iPhones has been adjusted from 13 million units to 14-15 million units, the sources said. The shipment goal for CDMA iPhones, which will be launched in North America and Asia Pacific in the first quarter, is set at 5-6 million units, the sources added.
The sources also indicate that the estimated total iPhone sales in Q4 of 2010 are 15.5 million bringing the total iPhone sales of 2010 to 47 million.
Currently, Foxconn is the only maker of WCDMA iPhones, while Foxconn and Pegatron Technology have equally shared the production volume for the CDMA version, the sources noted.
Rumors are continuously emerging about a CDMA iPhone 4 being released early next year. While these sources claim that Verizon will not be the exclusive CDMA carrier of the iPhone internationally, they suggest nothing about them being the sole carrier in the U.S. which could lead to a significant dip in sales for Verizon’s U.S. CDMA competitor, Sprint.
To stay up-to-date all on the news at the 2011 Consumer Electronics Show (January 6-9), be sure to follow iEnlive as TechGeec.com will be partnering with them to bring our readers the best coverage possible.
Editor’s Opinion: Will Apple be launching this new version of the iPhone at the upcoming Consumer Electronics Show? While many sources claim the CDMA iPhone will be launched early January, few suggest it will be at the CES which Apple will not be attending. However, Verizon’s CEO, Ivan Seidenberg, is scheduled for a keynote at the CES on January 6 where they are rumored to announce new phones. I’ve received numerous questions asking if the iPhone will be launched at the CES and my gut feeling is, unfortunately, no. Of course, being a Verizon customer and an iPhone admirer, I would love to see the CDMA iPhone launched by Seidenberg in a little more than a week but I don’t see it happening. With regards to the iPhone, Apple has been the only company to have conferences, not even AT&T has had one regarding the iPhone. So if this rumored CDMA iPhone will simply be a CDMA-compatible iPhone 4, I believe there’s a chance of it’s announcement at the CES 2011. On the other hand if it will be a whole new design, I have much doubt that it will be announced by Verizon. For those who want an easier-to-follow opinion, 30% chance not being announced at the CES 2011, 45% chance Apple will announce it sometime in Q1 2011, 25% chance we won’t be seeing a CDMA iPhone in 2011.
If, however, the CDMA iPhone will be launched, TechGeec.com will have complete coverage on it.