Ever since the December release of @pod2g‘s “corona” untether for iOS 5.x on A4 and earlier devices, all eyes have been on the attempts to extend it to the A5 devices: the iPhone4S and iPad2. Due to the combined efforts of @pod2g and members of the iPhone Dev Team and Chronic Dev Team, the iOS 5 jailbreak for A5 devices has been released. The application; Absinthe.
The supported firmware versions are:
- iPhone4S: 5.0 (9A334), 5.0.1 (9A405) and the “other” 5.0.1 (9A406)
- iPad2: 5.0.1 (9A405)
iPhone4S owners looking to maximize their chances of achieving an eventual software-based carrier unlock should be staying at 5.0. Everyone else should be at 5.0.1. If you’re an iPhone4S owner who already updated to 5.0.1, it’s too late to go back down to 5.0, but if you’re on 9A406 it is possible to downgrade the baseband by going to the 9A405 version of 5.0.1 while the window is still open.
1. Download Absinthe - http://greenpois0n.com/?p=173
2. Open the .ZIP file and extract the Absinthe application.
3. Plug the iPhone 4S or iPad 2 into the computer.
4. Open Absinthe and unlock your device if it has a passcode.
5. In Absinthe, click the “Jailbreak” button.
6. Once complete, unlock your device, open the Absinthe icon.
6a. If the Absinthe webclip shows “Error establishing a database connection”, go to Settings, turn on VPN and wait instead. Toggle VPN only AFTER Absinthe says it’s done, or it will not work. VPN SHOULD error and then reboot soon. If it does not, rerun Absinthe!
7. Congratulations! Cydia should now be installed on your device
What will be the first jailbreak app or tweak that you are going to install?