There has been so much confusion lately on which devices can be jailbroken, what programs to use, etc. Hopefully the video below will answer your questions. If you still have questions that weren’t answered in the video, leave a comment and your question will be answered ASAP.
Tag Archives: beta
Jailbreak Released for iPhone 3GS (Old Bootrom)
Quote (via iPhone Dev-Team Blog)
PwnageTool 4.0 Release Info
On Monday, Apple released firmware 4.0 for the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This of course was a major upgrade.
As advised, you shouldn’t have upgraded your devices if you have previously relied on our tools for hacktivation and/or a carrier unlock.
With that said, today we are releasing PwnageTool 4.0
PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE POST CAREFULLY, THERE ARE KNOWN UPGRADE TRAPS AND DIFFERENT UPGRADE SCENARIOS THAT NEED TO BE FULLY UNDERSTOOD AND CONSIDERED BEFORE USING THESE TOOLS.
Each supported device has few different scenarios that users need to consider when performing the upgrades, you need to check below and perform the upgrade in the particular way that matches your current device state.
NB: With PwnageTool 4.0 certain devices are not supported this is because they are not supported in iOS 4.0 or they are not supported by our software. We’re working on ways to get past these restrictions.
- iPhone 2G - not supported
- iPod Touch – not supported
- iPod Touch 3G – not supported
PwnageTool 4.0 only recognizes the official IPSWs that came out yesterday. If you had developer access to the “4.0 GM” IPSWs, do not try to use those.
Summary: Currently, PwnageTool only works on previously jailbroken 3GS devices with the old bootrom.
- If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3GS with the OLD BOOTROM and you DID NOT use Spirit to jailbreak then you can create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.0 and restore with your jailbroken recovery mode.
- If you have an iPhone 3GS with the NEW BOOTROM this is NOT supported by PwnageTool 4.0
- If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3G at 3.1.2 (but not jailbroken with Spirit) then you should create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.0 and restore from recovery mode or DFU mode.
- If you have an out of the box iPhone 3G you should restore using a PwnageTool 4.0 ipsw using DFU mode.
- If you have a Jailbroken 3.1.3 iPhone 3G it is very possible that this can fail from recovery mode, if this failure happens you will need to restore using DFU mode.
- As an alternative to PwnageTool, you can use redsn0w on iPhone 3G (on both Windows and Mac) as mentioned in our last post.
IMPORTANT! Whenever you need to enter DFU mode, you will need to do so using PwnageTool.
iPod touch 2G
- If you have an iPod touch 2G (non-MC model) that is jailbroken (but not with Spirit) then you can restore using recovery mode.
- As an alternative to PwnageTool, you can use redsn0w on non-MC iPod Touch 2G (on both Windows and Mac) as mentioned in our last post.
- As you probably know by now, ultrasn0w has been updated to cover all basebands from 04.26.08 onward. Many thanks to @sherif_hashim for finding the crashing command that the new ultrasn0w 0.93 uses! He worked hard at finding the crash, and he kept it confidential until the right time to use it.
- iPhone 3G and 3GS baseband unlockers (those who rely on ultrasn0w to make phone calls) should always be very wary to update their firmware, however our Ultrasn0w application will unlock all recent (including the current) 3GS and 3G baseband firmware versions. Once you are jailbroken using PwnageTool 4.0, install ultrasn0w from Cydia and you’ll be unlocked.
- Remember! This baseband unlock situation is rare, should you upgrade your iPhone blindly at the next iOS release please don’t expect an unlock – but for now you are OK (whatever state your baseband is in).
Please feel free to ask any questions in the comment section below. We’ve got a bunch of expert help there, including our friendly moderators confucious and angie!
Official Bittorrent Releases
PwnageTool 4.0 Torrent - PwnageTool_4.0.dmg.5644414.TPB.torrent
SHA1 Sum = 15bdb90ec40f1e279bb648eb7e9d90ebe07b66d2
The following links are unofficial download mirrors, you download these archives at your own risk, we accept no responsibility if your computer explodes or if it becomes part of a NASA attacking botnet or even worse if your hands fall off mid-way during the use of these files. We do not check these links and we accept no responsibility with regard to the validity of the files, the other content that these links may provide or with the content that is on the third-party linked site.
Always check the files that you have downloaded against our published SHA1 hash.
We would prefer that you downloaded the official bittorrent release that is linked above, but you are welcome to try these if you really must. Mirror owners should email direct dmg download links only (no rapidshare or filesharing sites please) to email@example.com — please don’t place mirrors in the comments as they will be deleted.
How to Jailbreak iOS 4
The revolutionary new iPhone/iPod Touch operating system, iOS 4, has been successfully jailbroken using Redsn0w. Here’s how:
1. Download Redsn0w for Mac OS X or for Windows
2. Connect your device to your computer and shut it off (slide to shut down)
3. Download the corresponding iOS 4 firmware for your iDevice from the “Downloads” section of TechGeec.com
4. Open Redsn0w and browse for the firmware that you downloaded. Select “Next”
5. Select which features you’d like to be installed with the jailbreak (certain devices cannot have multitasking, homescreen wallpaper, or battery percentage so enabling those features gives that device the features)
6. Click “Next” twice and prepare to put your iDevice into DFU Mode
7. On the screen that shows you what to do to put your device in Recovery Mode:
Hold power button for 3 seconds
While still holding the power button, hold the home button for 10 seconds
While still holding the home button, release the power button and continue holding the home button for 30 seconds
8. Congratulations! Once your device reboots you should have Cydia on your home screen.
Feel free to leave a comment below stating what your favorite feature of iOS 4 is, if you enjoy jailbreaking, if you’ve had any problems, or any other sort of feedback, and please, share this post and TechGeec.com with your friends.
Get FireFox 3.7a3 Now!
FireFox has become more and more popular over the years and there’s no doubt in my mind that it will one day overtake Internet Explorer to become the most popular web browser. Although there is such a great number of people who use Mozilla’s prized browser, not many of them know that Mozilla has released alpha (pre-beta) versions of FireFox 3.7.
Before I moved from FireFox 3.6 to FireFox 3.7 alpha3, 3.6 was constantly using roughly 80%-95% of my MacBook Pro’s CPU. Even at idle it would use more memory than it should have. Because of this it slowed everything down and I was never able to find out why this had occurred. So I started searching for a later beta version of FireFox just to see if anything had been released yet. Well, FireFox 3.7alpha3 was released. So I downloaded the alpha version and started to run some tests. This new version, even in it’s alpha stages, is faster than 3.6, takes up less CPU space (about 30%-65% when loading, about 3% on idle).
As with all pre-GA (general ability) software, there is bound to some bugs, I guarantee it. Also, so far no add-ons are available for it, however, as it moves up in development stages, compatible add-ons will be released (most likely once it’s in beta stages). If you’d like to get Mozilla FireFox 3.7a3 to try out on your own, click HERE. To download the web browser is a little tricky because you have to sort your way through Mozilla’s FTP server. Please watch the video below for help.